Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog Assessment #1


Some specific phrases that show my writing voice would be “That made me think about how when we are kids, we dream about becoming this great person when we get older and we want to be able to do things that older kids do. But once you're growing up, it's a trap.” This shows my personality as a writer because I really like to look deep into the meaning behind what the writer is trying to show and how it’s impacting the characters. So in this case, when Alaska talks about her name and how she got it, it made me think about how life works and how you’re getting older every second. My personality relates to this because I like acting like a little kid again and once you grow up, you’re stuck. You can’t go back, so you have to embrace it while it lasts.

An example of diction that I included in my blog is, “Even though them just meeting doesn't mean they are going to be "best friends" you can already sense a feeling of them being close in a way that can't be described. Hopefully as the book continues the sense of strong friendship increases.” This is an example of informal diction because it represents the plain language that is used every day like strong friendships being made. An example of syntax that I included in my blog is, “This situation seems wrong to both Alaska and Miles, but Alaska is the only one to actually stand up for him, acting like a sister to him.” This is word order/ sentence structure because Alaska isn’t actually his sister so saying “like a sister” is a simile talking about their relationship in the story.

8 comments:

  1. Good job on keeping up on the posting. I have seen a lot of people who haven't kept up. It is great to go above and beyond to try to have 8 or 9 by the end of the school year. Also, try to make the blog posts flow a bit better. They are alright now, they just seem a bit choppy at times. Other than that, your doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written post! This incorporates great examples of diction from your book which makes me want to read it. I like the 'life lesson' that your included saying how once you grow up you can no longer be a child. This is so true and everyone should be given the ability to act like this at least once in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your example of diction and syntax from your book. You gave your own thoughts and opinons and i thought that contributed a lot to this post! This post was very well written and thought out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did really good and I like this post a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you related yourself to the book you are reading. Not many people pay attention to the syntax and diction in their books and i like how you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had really good examples and overall this is a really good post !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job writing this post and I hope you are enjoying the book you are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really good, long post! I like how you related yourself to the book and you gave good examples of diction and syntax.

    ReplyDelete